The Single Phase and Three Phase Induction Motor is differentiated on the various factors in this article such as the Supply on which they operate, their starting torque, maintenance, features, the efficiency of the motor, their power factors and the example where the two motors are used.
Difference Between Single Phase and Three Phase Induction Motor are given below in tabulated form.
|BASIS||SINGLE PHASE INDUCTION MOTOR||THREE PHASE INDUCTION MOTOR|
|Supply||Single Phase induction motor uses single phase supply, for its operation.||Three Phase induction motor uses three phase supply, for its operation.|
|Starting torque||The starting torque is low.||The starting torque is high.|
|Maintenance||They are easy to repair and maintain.||Difficult to repair and maintain.|
|Features||Simple in construction, reliable and economical as compared to three phase induction motors.||Complex in construction and costly.|
|Efficiency||Efficiency is less||Efficiency is high|
|Power factor||Power factor is low||Power factor is high|
|Examples||They are mostly used in domestic appliances such as mixer grinder, fans, compressors etc||Three phase induction motors are mostly used in industries.|
The Induction Motor is an asynchronous motor as they do not run at the synchronous speed. The Single Phase Induction motor work on the 1 phase supply power and is not self-starting.
The three phase induction motor works on the 3 phase power supply mains and is self-starting motor.
Difference Between Single Phase and Three Phase Induction Motor
- As the name itself shows, the Single Phase induction motor uses single phase supply, for its operation and 3 Phase induction motor uses three phase supply.
- The Starting Torque of Single Phase induction motor is low, whereas the starting torque of Three Phase Induction motor is high.
- Single Phase motors are easy to repair and maintain, but the maintenance of three phase motors difficult.
- Single Phase motors are simple in construction, reliable and economical as compared to three phase induction motors.
- The efficiency of single phase motor is low, whereas the efficiency of three phase induction motors is high.
- The power factor of Single Phase Induction motor is low as compared to that of three-phase induction motor.
- Single Phase motors are mostly used in domestic appliances such as mixer grinder, fans, compressors, etc. Three phase induction motors are mostly used in the industries.
In this way, single phase and three phase induction motors are different from each other.